|Pictures and text: © John Salmon|
|S. Silas is also fortunate in possessing a
chamber organ by Jonas Ley, which was built in 1772. It stands on the
south side of the nave, in
its fine mahogany case with gilded front pipes. It retains the original short octave in the bass and its original winding system although there
is also an electric blower. The organ restorers Manders say some of the pipes are even centuries older than that.
The first known owner was organ builder Percy Daniels, from whose home in Somerset it was transferred to All Saints', Notting Hill, in 1940, to
be shifted again to S. Silas' when All Saints' was blitzed.
Open Diapason (8; fiddle g)
Stop Diapason (8) B/T